On day 6 of deliberations, the Boston, MA jury that began hearing evidence in Aaron Hernandez’s double murder trial six weeks ago, acquitted him of murder and all other charges except one: the unlawful possession of a gun. Clearly, jurors did not believe the Commonwealth’s star witness, Alexander Bradley; a witness who received immunity from prosecution. Bradley was with Hernandez on the night of the shooting. He claims he was driving and that Hernandez fired the shots. The defense argued the opposite; that Bradley fired the shots.

The witness intimidation count accused Hernandez of attempting to silence Bradley by shooting him in the head in February 2013 and leaving him for dead. Bradley lost his right eye and became a witness for the Commonwealth some months later.

Hernandez is serving a life sentence for a murder he committed the following year–after this double murder occurred. That case is on appeal.

After the verdict was announced, the Boston DA’s office released this statement along with photos of the two victims, Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado:

BOSTON, April 14, 2017— A Suffolk Superior Court jury this afternoon acquitted AARON HERNANDEZ (D.O.B. 11/6/89) of the 2012 shooting that claimed the lives of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado but convicted him of unlawful possession of a firearm on the night of the murders, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Jurors in the trial of today convicted the defendant on a charge of unlawful possession of a firearm but finding him not guilty on two counts of first-degree murder, three counts of armed assault with intent to murder, and single counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and witness intimidation. After the verdicts were returned, Suffolk Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Locke sentenced Hernandez to four to five years in state prison, to be served from and after the sentence he is currently serving of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

During the course of the six-week trial, prosecutors sought to prove that, on July 16, 2012, Hernandez fired multiple shots into the vehicle occupied by de Abreu, Furtado, and three other men as it was stopped on Shawmut Avenue in the South End. De Abreu and Furtado were killed, and a third man inside the vehicle was struck but survived his wounds. Prosecutors introduced evidence that Hernandez shot and injured a percipient witness just outside Riviera Beach, Florida, on Feb. 13, 2013.

First Assistant District Attorney Patrick Haggan prosecuted the case alongside Assistant District Attorney Mark Lee, deputy chief of the DA’s Homicide Unit, and Assistant District Attorney Teresa Anderson of the DA’s Appellate Unit. Katherine Moran and Jennifer Sears were the DA’s assigned victim-witness advocates.